Thursday, August 19, 2010

I need advice on how to deal with my husband who is bipolar and has schizophrenia. How can I deal with him?

My husband was diagnosed about a month and a half ago. He was put on Depakote, Lexapro, and Clonodine. He seemed so different. He was never angry and was even being more attentive with me and the kids. He went for a follow up and was discontinued from them because of the way he was feeling. He was sleepy all day and could not sleep at night. He would have nighmares all the time. He was changed to Seroquel about 3 weeks ago and now he seems worse than before. He hates himself and takes it out on everyone. I feel like I am walking on eggshells because he has violent mood swings. I am trying to be supportive but I feel that this medication is harming him more than helping. I am to the point where I just want to leave him but I feel that he has no one to help him. He is always depressed and negative. If he cant find something he's looking for, he throws everything around our bedroom in frustration and makes a mess. He asked for help and got it but now its not working. What can I do?I need advice on how to deal with my husband who is bipolar and has schizophrenia. How can I deal with him?
Contact his prescribing doctor IMMEDIATELY. While the shift in mood chemicals can make people do odd things, violence should NEVER be tolerated and needs to be reported right away!





The chemical cocktails he's being prescribed are the right way of things, but it may just take time to figure out what will and won't work. Obviously this isn't. So PLEASE have a talk with the doc...YOU have to live with your husband, not the doctor!





As for leaving, you're absolutely right. He needs help right now, and walking out on him is not going to make anything any better.





Good luck.....I need advice on how to deal with my husband who is bipolar and has schizophrenia. How can I deal with him?
take him to yoga classes, do meditation, and prayer. Pranayama also help to calm down.


all these take time. needs patience. till then


I know it is hard. any of his relatives should help you to handle him. If it is impossible to cure him,


put him in a hospital or mental asylum.


savithri
It takes a while to find the correct medication that works for each individual because people are different and react to medications differently. It's hard to know what to tell you because what your husband is doing is what paranoid schizophrenics do. That condition along with bi-polar is really tough. Perhaps a short hospitalization will help to get him stabilized.
change meds again.I take depakote,klonopin and trazadone and it seems to work but I am just bipolar and depressed.Tell the shrink about his moods-he may have to put him back on depakote.I am a little sleepy during the day but I take all my meds at night except for one that I forgot to mention.Zoloft


You didn't say what his new meds were.I had to try a few combinations before I found one that worked
I can empathize with your situation. I am severely bi-polar and put my family and friends through hell before finding the right ';cocktail'; of medication, I call it the medicatin dance I did it for more than five years before they hit on the right comobination. Don't give up and encourage him also it's unfortuantly the best defense we have and must use to the best of our abilities. Dont let the the doctors make him settle for somthing that is not making life better for him, thats their job, if one wont do it see another one. You will find the right meds and be able to live a good life again.It just takes time and unbeleivable pateince. If you or your husband would like to contact me to talk or for support I'd be glad to speak with you.


One thing you might look into is a drug called Abilify it is used for both disorders and is highly effective with few side effects.


Good luck with everything and please take heart there is an answer somethimes in the realm of medicine you just have to fight tooth and nail for it.


CHeers


PJ
Forget about the husband; you're not equipped to help him, and that's not your fault. Sometimes life (excuse me) sucks, and it sounds as if both of you have been handed a rotten deal.





But you HAVE to think about your kids, and nothing else.





Get the kids out of that home.
This is a very tough situation.


For a very long time insanity has been regarded as grounds for divorce. I would consider this, as there is no cure for schizophrenia, much less bi-polar.. Don't get too wrapped up in self-sacrifice - you need to look after yourself as well.
leaving is the best medecine
I am not a fan of Seroquel becaue of the effects it has had on several family members. It will take a while for any medication to start working. And it might take several tries on a medication before they find the right one. If these medications are not working then he needs to see the Dr to try another one.
You need more help than what anyone can give you online. There is a terrific psychologist that has helped me with my son who is bi-polar that does business right here in Anthem. His name is Dr. Gary Bettis Ph.D. He accepts insurance also. I urge you to call him and set up regular appointments with him so he can give you the 'tools' you will need to help your beloved husband. His number is 602-301-9803. Try not to despair - - when your husband gets his meds straight life WILL get better. This is just temporary until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment