Thursday, August 19, 2010

Any advice as to how to motivate my husband?

My husband and I have been married for three years. We had dated seven years before that. We're a really close couple and I can honestly say that he's my best friend.





We have a son, who's three months old. From the pregnancy, I gained too much weight, and my husband has been packing on a few pounds as well.





Thinking about our future together, I really want to be able to run around with our kid and not have Weight stop us, like it has in our past.


The problem? I went to get a gym membership for my husband and I, and I figured that since his mother adores our son, that twice a week (Just as a start), we'd go to the gym together. I figured that it would be a good bonding time for him and me and we could have our time away from the baby and time for ourselves.





He thought it was a ';horrible'; idea. He said that we don't need to loose weight and that we're perfectly fine. Trust me, we're not.


I wouldn't be surprised if he were to step on a scale and weigh closer to 300 pounds.


He then told me that my cooking was healthy, so therefore, we were healthy. I explained to him that you also have to work your body out to get into shape. He just doesn't understand.


He goes to work, comes home, sits down on the couch, and watches TV. He'll play with the baby, of course, but he's rarely active. He enjoys his video games and TV premiers.


I have no idea how else to get him to buy into my idea. I think it has more benefits then negatives, don't you think?Any advice as to how to motivate my husband?
Get him to go on a walk with you and your baby after dinner. It's time together and not physically demanding enough for him to complain. Also, sex is good cardio!Any advice as to how to motivate my husband?
If he doesn't want to go you can't force him, or trick him or do anything to change his mind I don't think. He already told you he was fine. Sure a gym is positive but if he doesn't want to go I don't see a way to make him go. It isn't that easy. good luck tho.
Do this, why dont you start to go alone after he gets off work and leave baby with him. Once he sees that you are also very serious about it, I guarantee that he will have no problem coming along with you. Maybe this is the best method of motivation. Also tell him to udnerstand that you are concerned about your health and his health and that you dont want hypertension, diabetes, or and other heart or health problem to get in the way of you raising your beautiful son. Plus, tell him that you want to set an example for your baby.
remind him that you BOTH want to be alive and well to see your son accomplish things in life and another good motivation is that you don't want to pass on unhealthy habits to your son





Update, I agree also with the fact that you can't force him, nothing can stop you from going alone, be a good example to him and he might get inspired
I saw a movie about an Italian family where the mother says:





'; The man is the head of the household. But the woman, she is the neck! And the neck can turn the head any way she wants.';





Gentle persuasion. Be persistent in a nice way. Sooner or later, he'll


cave in.
Take care of yourself. Start exercising and eating right and maybe seeing how much better you look and feel will inspire him to do the same.
It is difficult for anyone of us to face reality, especially when it comes to weight gain. But the truth is, weight gain can not only affect your health it can affect many other areas in your life. Your husband is in denial for lack of motivation, he is enjoying avoiding the truth and to be comfortable with the way things are. You did a good thing by signing you both up to a gym. If he currently is not motivated to go, then you go by yourself. Once he sees your progress this may be the motivation he needs to get himself into the gym. It takes time and patience but in time you can be the driving force that he needs to make a move to a better and healthier life. Good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment