Sunday, August 22, 2010

Awesome husband of one year who doesnt listen?? Any advice?

I have a great husband he is sweet and he will do anything for me but when I tell him say to put the pajamas on our one month old daughter he comes out of the tub with her wraped up in a towel or if I say I dont feel like cooking dinner tonight let go out he will ask if I feel like cooking dinner. If i say I want the red shirt he will say what color shirt do you want?? If he goes through the drive thru and I say please dont forget the ketchup or etc... He will. What is wrong here He wants to change I think these are just silly examples. there are many more. it happens at least ten times a day! What can I or he do?? Please any advice will help!Awesome husband of one year who doesnt listen?? Any advice?
Possibly your husband has ADD (not ADHD unless he is hyperactive). We deal with that in our marriage all the time. It's not deliberate, but a medical problem. Get him to write notes, as a reminder - even then it is possible to forget to look at the note though. Be patient - it is just as frustrating for the person with it - in fact way more. Imagine if YOUR memory was like that. If it is ADD, it has nothing to do with not concentrating, it is a missing chemical in the brain that directs the information to the correct place. Try Brahmi (natural) capsules - they can help, but not cure.





Torib your answer says a lot more about you than married life! ';....start reminding him daily until the scheduled day comes'; - that's nagging! NO-ONE likes nagging. As you say, you treat him like a child - how does a child react to that sort of treatment? They ignore you. Do you remember rolling your eyes to that sort of treatment as a child? How did you stay married for 15 years?





Good luck donnyandAwesome husband of one year who doesnt listen?? Any advice?
could be that he has ADHD.
google: relationship skills


and learn to communicate BETTER
I say things over and over to my fiance all the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with your husband. I think this may be the usual for a man. He forgets stuff I've asked him to do on a daily basis. Today, for example, he forgot to call AAA, buy ketchup, buy light bulbs, and call his mother back. Sometimes, he'll forget to do things minutes after I asked him to. As he was walking out the door to go to work yesterday morning I asked him to turn the heat on. He walks out the door, right past the thermostat and.....you guessed it....nothing. He'll re-tell me stories from work or ask me the same question over and over. I get a good chuckle out of it, for the most part. Still, I see where you are coming from.





If something is really important I will put it in writing. We call it the honey-do list. Or, I will text him in the middle of the day to remind him of something I want him to do. I find that when he reads stuff he remembers it better.
I hate to say it, but I agree with another poster. You probably talk too much to him. Stop talking so much and see if he starts listening when you do talk.
I think he is BEING CONSTANTLY NAGGED UPON. LEAVE THE POOR HARD WORKING DUDE ALONE!! FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO TAKE UP YOUR TIME.
There is nothing wrong with your husband except that he is the typical man! My husband never listens either. You get used to it after a few years of marriage. lol.
When you have his absolute undivided attention explain that you love him and he is a fabulous man who takes good care of your daughter and respects you but you feel like he doesn't listen when you talk and tell him why that upsets you. Good luck!
Has he always been like this? If not, consider that the pressure of reality setting in - yes this is the rest of his life, yes this is his family, yes he will never be single and carefree again - is getting to him.
Hey, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. Do it to him and see if he likes it.
Sounds like he is not focused on what your saying to him, could be a sign about how he really feels about your relationship with him, bet if you told him 'not tonight, I have a headache' he'd hear that from you. Try working with him on his short term memory, he actually may have a problem with his memory and this is a sign, try getting one of those new memory programs that you see advertised on TV. He may never change and you'll either have to endure it or figure out a way to make it a postiive in your life with him.
Actually, there have been studies about this very question.





There may be vocal tones that men do not hear, especially when watching TV. The links give you information on this topic.





The way to get through to your man is to use words that catch his attention, then make sure you maintain his attention by changing your voice. Don't speak in a monotone, it will lull him and he will not listen.





If it is something that he must hear, go into the room, stand in front of the TV, take the remote and mute the TV -- whatever it takes, then speak face to face to discuss whatever it is. I'd only do this on really important issues.
Welcome to married life!! That is a typical man. After 15 years of being together, my Husband is still that way. Not as bad, but still there. If I tell him something important....I start reminding him daily until the scheduled day comes. Or, I will ask him to do something for me and then ask him if he heard me. If he says ';Yes'; I will simply say: ';tell me what I just said?'; You actually have to treat them like a child and call him on it. Eventually he will start focusing and actually hear what you say.
YOu may not want to hear this but this is little compared to what it could be. I have no doubt its annoying but things could be alot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment