Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby sister & her husband to move in w/me & my hubby...Advice?

My baby sister and her hubby (both 23 yoa) are making the move from IL to FL and will be staying with my husband and I while they get settled (save money, find jobs, find an apt.) I love my sister and her husband dearly and I dont want anything to happen during thier stay that could jeopardize our closeness....that being said, as two young married couples, what are some guidelines or boundaries you could suggest that might make things easier for everyone? I am torturing myself with possible scenarios and how I would handle them when and if they came up. Is it wrong to ask them to come up with a timeline for thier stay with us? They already feel they are imposing, so I don't wan them to feel unwelcome. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!Baby sister %26amp; her husband to move in w/me %26amp; my hubby...Advice?
It is very grateful that they have a nice sister that is willing to give them some place to stay. As that being said, I think it is important to understand that there always issues that will come up when all of you are together. However being the host, its your duty to make sure they feel most welcome and try your hardest to keep any big issues from creating rifts. I'm sure they will try their hardest as well so just enjoy the presence of some family and try to make the best of it.Baby sister %26amp; her husband to move in w/me %26amp; my hubby...Advice?
BIG MISTAKE ! Within a month or 2 you'll B doin' him %26amp; break them up. You'll B knocked-up %26amp; suicidal, she'll burn your house down as U sleep %26amp; he'll escape out window %26amp; move on 2 greener pastures
Did your husband invite them? It is a huge imposition so I am glad they already know that. I think you can make all the rules you want and if they do not have enough money or a job it wont matter what you say in advance. So what I would do is talk with your husband and agree on a date between you two only( I am thinking 2 weeks). A few days before that date, say to your sister and her husband that you will need to say good bye to them and that you have found a place for them to stay now as they leave your place. ( it can be a motel 6 or something) Be firm or you will be in huge trouble with your budget, your sister and most importantly , your husband and home.
Having been in this situation, I suggest the following.


Make some time schedules for Jobs and moving and so on. Put them in writing with all of you signing it. Make rules for the living conditions, Again in writing. It sounds very harsh but I done this with and without it in writing. It will help. Be understanding to any difficulty finding jobs and such. But make sure they understand that this is you and your hubby's home and they are guest!


What ever you do, Please don't let the guest come between you and your hubby. It happens so easy and will be hard to control if not put in check. Family or not, He is your husband and should be #1.


I hope this works out for you.


Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment