Thursday, July 29, 2010

My husband wants to have another baby...need advice?

We have a beautiful 7 month old daughter. I told him that a year from now, we can talk about trying again. My only hesitation is he has done very little with our daughter as far as 'chores' go (diaper changes, middle of the night feedings, putting her to sleep, changing her clothes, watching her all day, etc). I do ALL those things and have since she was born. He loves playing with her, cuddling with her, etc, but none of the WORK. We are both stay at home parents right now (I work by appointment and he does web design from home). We are VERY fortunate to be able to do this. I just don't want to get stuck having ALL the responsibility on my shoulders for the next baby AND our daughter now. I'm thinking about having a written contract (that's kind of a joke but not really) on what my expectations would be of him...and I've told him this. He knows he's being the way he is, because he's apologized for it several times. Does anyone know how I can get him to stick to it? I know i will want another baby, but I'm always tired with this one because I feel like I'm a single parent. I know I haven't really asked a question, I just want to hear what other parents feel about their significant others parenting, and if anyone has had the same problem as me and was able to fix it?My husband wants to have another baby...need advice?
My boyfriend is the exact same !! I always get up in the middle of the night for feedings, and when he has her during the day and is playing with her or whatever if she gets hungry or gets a dirty diaper he instantly hands her to me and says ';here you go mommy'; It's so annoying. I've suggested that he should also help out and get up in the night to feed her sometimes, but he just says that there's no point in both of us waking up, and one of us should get sleep. Then the other night he had the nerve to tell me how much he enjoys being a daddy and we should have another one. So I'm pretty much in the same position as you, feeling like I do all of the work, and he wants another one because he thinks it's so easy because he does absolutely nothing to help.





But anyway I would suggest TRYING to talk to your husband and tell him that you aren't ready for another baby if you have to do all the work again, and you are still recuperating from your loss of sleep from this baby. Chances are that he will try his best to talk you into having another baby, but even if he does say he'll help and you have a baby and he doesn't help, you'll still love that baby just as much as this one, and you know that you will also still get up and feed them and change them (since you won't really have a choice in the matter) but who knows, by then your husband might be more comfortable doing more of the traditional ';mommy jobs';My husband wants to have another baby...need advice?
You can say ';i'll think about it if i see you try to help me a little more with the one we have';
Speaking as a mother of 3 kids under the age of 4 I highly recommend waiting a little longer. Especially if you feel the bulk of the responsibility is on you. At 7 months babies are in such a great stage and are kind of easy to control. In a few months when she is walking you are constantly on the move trying to make sure she doesn't fall/climb/run away/get into something she shouldn't be into. Remember being pregnant and not being able to move that fast, being tired, not feeling well. With the first one you can lie down or take a nap. With the second pregnancy you don't get to take care of you-- you have to take care of baby #1. You should tell him that and really think about the attention your first baby needs. She is still brand spankin' new!
You should be honest with him and tell him your worries about being ';stuck'; with all the chores for the 2nd child.





Tell him that you will consider a second child only if he becomes more responsible and takes care of your daughter. If he shows significant signs of improvement over the next few months, then that's a good sign and you can go ahead.





If not, let him know that it will be very difficult for you to manage two little kids with no support and that you are not ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment