Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Husband hiding medical condition and refuses to follow Dr's treatment advice. What should I do?

I just accidentally found out that my husband has a thyroid condition. He doesn't know I know. I found out that his Dr. prescribed a drug for hypothyroidism and he never filled it. I don't know how to handle this news since he clearly doesn't want me to know. He recently had a Dr appt and afterwards he said, ';I need to change my diet and that's all your getting'; and something about his ';organs shutting down.'; He made it clear that he had an illness but he wasn't going to tell me what it was. He is VERY weird about prescription drugs and I'm guessing he just doesn't want me to pressure him to take them. However, he %26amp; I both have family history of hypothyroidism and I know that untreated, you can eventually die from it. I don't understand why he's being so weird about this. He has actually made me think he has something much worse than a thyroid problem and I think that was on purpose....for sympathy maybe? I want him to take his medicine so he will get better. Any advice?Husband hiding medical condition and refuses to follow Dr's treatment advice. What should I do?
First of all, he shouldn't be keeping secrets from you.


Second, fill the perscription for him and hand it to him and tell him you need for him to start taking his medication. For you and for the kids. Has he even thought about what your life and your kids' lives would be like without him? Maybe you should paint him a picture of how you'd all do financially and emotionally without him and see if that has any affect. If he tries to get angry about you finding out about his personal business you tell him that in a marriage your business IS my business especially when it has to do with your health so you have no right to be angry with me, in fact I have every right to be angry with you for not telling me. I'm supposed to be your partner not your roommate. You owe me the truth.Husband hiding medical condition and refuses to follow Dr's treatment advice. What should I do?
your going to have to force him to take the medicine! would you rather have him mad at you for a while... or dead? its like a dog! it doesnt want to take its medicine but you have to open its mouth and just feed it! hope you husband gets better!
Do what I do. Go WITH him to all doctor appointments, for tests, etc. Make sure he takes his meds in front of you. If he needs this babying, just do it, happily.
You cant make a grown up do anything they dont want to. You can tell him that you know about his condition and you know That he needs meds. Telll him that you want to spend the rest of your life with him and you wish he would take care of himself.
Tell him you love him and take out a life insurance policy on him Ok just kidding seriously..he needs to take his meds these are VERY important to take..can cause many problems if not taken Good luck
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it .


SORRY
Ring the Doctor %26amp; talk to him/her.
You know, so sit down and confront him with what you know and how you feel about it. Communication is a key to any successful relationship. If he chooses not to take medication, that is his right (no matter how foolish you or anyone else may feel that to be). But he needs to be straight with you about his health because it affects your life too...
Buy a burial plot. If he doesn't want to take care of himself, you can't make him.
Marriage should be based on open and honest communication. It sounds like that component might be missing. Tell your husband you accidentally found out. Tell him you love him and want the best for him. Tell him your concerns.





Do this in a loving, non-nagging way and then give him some space. Let him come to you. If he chooses not to, there isn't much you can do. If you do the cooking, you can make sure he gets a proper diet. You can also do some research on natural healing options if he doesn't want to take prescription meds. A proper diet could help keep the condition under control so he won't have to worry about it. Other than that, he's a grown man and there isn't much else you will be able to do.





He hasn't fully accepted that he has a condition that requires treatment. If he had he would be able to talk to you about it. You may also want to talk to your doctor to see if he has any advice on what you can do. Men can be extremely stubborn when it comes to their health. Good luck on this.
HELLO


confront him nicely calmly.


this operation usually is in the throat..


and can leave u speachless.the drugs make u angry and moody.....


best
It's a ';manly'; thing. Men are supposed to be strong, having an illness is a weakness.
I know this has nothing to do with a thyroid condition, but my husband was diagnosed with Leukemia a little over a year ago, after he got home from the hospital he refused to take his medication, refused to eat right etc. Long story short he ended up back in the hospital for a second time and never came out. Sadly Travis died in Feb. and losing him is the hardest thing I never wanted to do at 24. We were married for almost 6 years and if I were you, I'd tell your husband what he is risking, HIS LIFE. Travis lost his because his system shut down from not having the medication that he needed in his blood stream. You can't make them take it, you can't make them do anything they don't want to, but you need to let him know you know about it, and tell him he's not just hurting himself he's hurting you, and trust me....God forbid something happens to him, you will lose your mind if something does.

No comments:

Post a Comment