Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice needed please on dealing with my husband during a depression cycle?

I have been suffering with clinical depression and PTSD for the past 4 years. I have been in therapy and on medication and this is helping a great deal. The problem is when I go through a bout of depression (as I am at the moment) my husband just can't seem to leave me alone. All I want to do is sleep and stay inside the house for a few days until it passes but he chooses these times to make arrangements to be social and do ';family'; things. He thinks I shouldn't give into the feelings I'm feeling and instead should get out of the house and keep busy.


He has seen me battle with this illness since I was first diagnosed yet continues to nag me to the point where I'm feeling bullied. I've tried everything even having my therapist talk to him and I'm at my wits end.


Any serious suggestions would be wonderful.Advice needed please on dealing with my husband during a depression cycle?
i think the only way is to thoroughly explain to him in exacting and accurate terms. You don't have to be mean or angry, but at the same time, don't beat around the bush , don't hint or use euphemisms. Be clear.


Explain that you in fact need to be alone or at least kept at peace, and explain WHY, and explain why his forced social arrangements are counterproductive.





If need be, maybe you can do all this explaining in great detail when things are ';normal'; and he's acting normal.Advice needed please on dealing with my husband during a depression cycle?
This must be really difficult for you. I think you just need to say ';No, I am not going to this family thing';. It is not helping you by being forced into something you really don't want to do.





He probably thinks he is helping you but to be honest, he is not helping you at all.





My Mother suffered from depression for many years. Explain to your husband that it is an illness and when you say you want to be left alone, you mean it!
well what he thinks is obviously not what is going to help you. let him know that you appreciate his efforts, but if he wants to be helpful then he needs to let you do what you need to do and reassure him that in a few days you will be fine to attend social events. tell him you will try to get out and do one positive thing during your depression mode and that will be your compromise.. in the end, maybe it will work.. and by doing something that means something alone that you enjoy doing. like go for a walk outside, paint pottery, gardening, whatever floats your boat.
Only Girl, I have also been diagnosed with major depression and combat related PTSD. It is a roller-coaster of emotions. When I get in the deep rut of depression, as you seem to be at the moment, I just need to sleep and be alone too. y wife kept pestering me as well until one day, when explaining didn't work, I just let it burst out, ';I need you to leave me the F--- alone!!!'; I did apologize after a day or so, but now she knows that when I tell her that I need to be left alone, she complies.
I really feel for you. When I was 19 I had some real issues with depression and my mom kept telling me that I had to get control of it, and I just wanted to scream because I couldn't control it. I've noticed that when a person is really, really down there are certain personalities that like to kick them.


Sometimes telling people to take control or not ';give in'; is a way of just not having compassion. He probably just doesn't want to deal with it and feels like he didn't ';sign up for this'; when he got married.





I can only suggest that when you're both calm and rationale that you tell him that you understand he probably doesn't see this as an illness, and you're sorry he has to deal with it, but there are going to be periods of time when he just has to give you space. And I guess you could just promise him that when the ';bout'; is over, you'll do you best to make up for the time you missed and do the family things. But if he's just basically selfish, I don't know what to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment