Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advice on how to deal with an ex-husband, regarding medical issues?

I have sole legal and physical custody my son, that I had with my now ex-husband. The child is less than 2 years old.





I recently made an appointment with my child's doctor (we have the same family doctor), because of some issues with his feet. In order for my insurance to cover special shoes to correct his walking, I have to go through his doctor.





I mentioned to my ex that we would have to reschedule his weekly visitation with our son next week, because we're going to the doctor that afternoon and it usually runs late into the afternoon/early evening. Our family doctor is really busy, so there wasn't any other day I could get an appointment except 2 weeks later. And no, his visitation isn't set in stone, it's not written he has him that afternoon, the custody papers just said ';an afternoon per week';, it was just normally that day. I've given him more than a week notice to reschedule.





Now, he wants HIM and his girlfriend and their newborn child to go to the doctor with our son that day, and not me. I told him no, that I was the one taking him, that I had issues I needed to talk to the doctor myself and that I had an appointment with the doctor too. (I book our appointments one after the other so it's easier).


He isn't happy and states that ';he should be allowed to bring his son to the doctor';.





I've told him he's always welcome to come with us to the doctor, but that I wouldn't ';step-out'; and let them take our son to the doctor when I'm the one who came up with the issue, booked the appointment, and that I'm the one with the concerns!





Is there any way to get through to someone like him? How do people ';keep the peace'; ?Advice on how to deal with an ex-husband, regarding medical issues?
In his own way I think he's trying to step up to the plate and take an active role. I don't think there's any reason why they shouldn't go with you for the appointment (it might actually be convenient for you because then they can watch the child when it's your turn with the doctor). Let them leave with your son after the appointment and go out for a coffee after your appointment. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.Advice on how to deal with an ex-husband, regarding medical issues?
I'm sorry you're in this position to begin with. I say be thankful he takes an interest in your son and wants to be involved in his care. Could he (not girlfriend and baby) meet you at the dr. and you both go in to talk about your son then he can look after your son while you go for your appt.?
You have legal custody and are fully responsible for the health and decision making of the child. He has absolutely NO choice. This is not a topic for discussion. You will be taking the child to the doctor. End of story.
The way your custody agreement is set up, you must be there to sign anything, that would be part of the legal custody. That is all that needs to be stated.
You could let him meet you up there and even take your child after his appointment. You would be able to have your appointment with no worries and everyone gets involved. Good Luck.
Don't be a babby hog.
Aren't you glad that the prick is an ex?
Honey it is impossible to keep peace between ex relationships. When they are still ticked off about something they prefer to continue to make the other person unhappy as well. It is awful how that work but it is true. My brother is still going through it until this day but that is another story that we will not get into.





You just need to tell him that the both of you can take your son to the doctor but not him and his girlfriend. That is unfair and disrespectful. That is your child as much as it is his but it does not give him the right to include someone else when his issue involves family attention not outside people. He need to break it to her that me and my exwife are going to take my son to the doctor. And leave it at that.





Tell your husband to stop acting like a big baby and do it for his son and stop playing childish games. That is all it is. All the bickering back and forth do not solve nothing but create headaches. He need to open his eyes and love his son unconditionally instead of picking fights with his mother. Children pick up on that stuff so he need to lay off immediately.





Best of luck to you and I hope the shoes work for your sons walking condition. I might have to get some for my daughter. Undecided right now.
As you already told him he is more then welcome to come along then he is creating an issue out of nothing, there's no reason why he can't come to the doctor's with you and then take your son out afterwards.





He should not expect you to step out with regards to this just as you don't expect him not to be involved.
Sorry but YOU come off as a control freak here. i think you are jealous of his new woman and are just trying to punish him. Stop being so petty and do what is right for your son.
Don't argue...just tell him calmly when the appointment is and you will meet him there, and as concerned parents you BOTH can take the tike into the Dr's office while he gets examined, and BOTH voice your concerns....but not the gf %26amp; her baby...they have no legal or emotional


investement/ties/rights to your son and they may stay in the waiting room...besides the dr will NOT entertain a crowd, especially when the crowd is not a legal guardian or bio-related...period. And also tell him he can watch your son while you see the dr (if you are comfortable with that...I would go first and tell the nurse to make sure he doesn;t leave with the kid)





..and the posters who said since you have sole legal custody and that YOU HAVE to be there are all right..he cannot ask for.sign for..request ANYTHING for the boy...only you can.





If you refuse to argue the point, what's he gonna do? You are following the visitation guidelines and you are including him in an issue involving his son....the GF %26amp; her child are no-persons as far as your son is concerned, in the eyes of the Law...good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment